Proteins, everybody will have heard about it already, if you are in the fitness, bodybuilding or you are totally, it doesn’t matter, you need proteins in your life, else we wouldn’t exist. In this post I’m gonna dig deeper into the topic of what they are and what they do, and especially, why we need them to survive.
The definition of proteins
Proteins are in fact nothing more than biological molecules inside our body, and they exist of chains of amino acids.
However, there has to be an interaction between the atoms of the amino acids before we can speak of proteins.
As I told earlier, amino acids are very good for the growth and building for your muscles, but in fact, they are essential for your entire body.
Proteins are very good for building up your cells, muscles, also they are essential for your immune system.
They have lots of functions, such as:
- Most of them have the function to catalyze biochemical reactions, they are called enzymes. Enzymes are responsible of the building blocks of your body, they get the nutrients of the food you eat and transform it. They are also responsible of giving you the energy necessary.
- They are also responsible for your cytoskeleton, which gives the shape and structure for your cells, they are dynamic, which means cells can replace themselves and that the cell can split itself.
- The cytoskeleton is also very important because they transport nutrients from one cell to another in your body, so you can grow.
- Some of them are hormones and they deliver the communication between cells, even it there are cells from a long distance. Receptors inside the cells catch them up and send them to other cells.
- Cells also have a regulation system, and proteins help them with it.
I know, it seems like a very scientific and difficult explanation, but only if you know what proteins do, you know how to adjust your training to get the maximum out of it.
Where to find them
They are mainly found in every kind of food, but I will list up in which kind you find the most and also which is the most healthy.
- Eggs ( this is very common and they have a treasure of protein inside, don’t eat more than 3-4 a day, over consuming is bad for your liver)
- Chicken ( also a very common product with a treasure of them inside, I suggest not to eat the roasted skin, it is VERY fat and not good if you want to get lean, also be careful with cholesterol
- Fish, such as: salmon, trout, tuna and mackerel.
- Turkey ( everything of turkey contains also lots of it)
- Meat ( tournedo, steak, it contains lots of proteins, choose the lean ones)
- Pig meat ( like pig filet, but you can eat all the kind of pig)
- Lamb, also, you can eat all kind of lamb.
- Wild ( rabbit, deer).
- Dairy products ( milk, cheese, the no fat version, your cholesterol, remember, yoghurt)
- Some vegetables, yes you read it good, vegetables. Such as:
- Soybeans, pindas, cashew nuts, corn, potatoes.
- Also, almonds, chestnuts, hazelnuts.
And the list is not finished yet, there are plenty of it, but I only list up those that are good for the fitness and bodybuilding, since others have lots of fats and contain bad cholesterol.
So what you can eat more is as following:
- Mushrooms ( contains a good amount of proteins)
- Some fruits also contains a good portion of it ( avocado, berries, bananas, strawberries, mango)
These are the most common foods that contain a good amount of proteins.
Proteins and bodybuilding
I already mentioned that they are crucial for your body, just to maintain it alone.
However, when you want to perform bodybuilding or fitness, your muscles needs an extra boost, by taking more proteins than normally, I used to take 200 grams of protein a day, normally it is like 56 grams annual.
As you notice, I took 4 times the protein intake than considered normal, my muscles grew very much, however, I want to warn you also, more intake, is more cholesterol, so be cautious about ir.
I suggest that you first start by taking like 100 grams, and use more by the time you see everything goes well. Don’t exceed mindlessly though, think about your liver, kidneys, and cholesterol (blood pressure), too much protein can also be bad!
So, if you want you grow good and a bit quicker, you higher the daily dosage of proteins, it doesn’t fill the stomach too much, and you will get results.
As in all kind of muscle growth, weight gain, losing weight, or anything else within the fitness and bodybuilding branch, you have supplements that help you get your daily amount higher, sometimes it isn’t possible for your body to eat all the food that contain them ( I’m speaking of experience, my stomach didn’t allow too much food actually, even not enough to reach my daily intake of 2000 calories, so I need to look for supplements to reach it, but it didn’t take to long before I surpassed it, when I started with bodybuilding).
The supplements you can use are:
- Protein shake ( with powder as the weight gainer of as a drink, I prefer the drink, the vanilla taste so lovely)
- Whey shake ( it is considered as one of the best)
- Casein shake ( this is a slower one, but because of it, you reduce the chance of a muscle breakdown by at least 22 percent)
- For vegan people or people that are allergic to dairy products, including eggs, is Pea Powder, it is new, but it is told it is a very good one, I didn’t try it yet, but I promise I will do it as soon as possible.
- Brown rice ( I consider this one as inferior to the whey one, however, it can adjust to your body very good, depends from person to person)
- Mixed plant ones ( as the name says it, all the vegetable ones are mixed together to create a superior blend, that matches against the dairy ones)
There are many supplements on the market, you have to figure out which one works the best for you, because, like always, your body reacts different to another persons body. It is not because their body react very good on one supplement that you will, supplements are created for a wide market, for a wide range of people, with all different body, so it is normal that it happens, your gym friend found a good one, you try it, and no result. Can happen otherwise, it works for you, not for him.
My advise to you is: find out which shake/supplement works the best for you, it can take a while before you actually find it, but don’t lose hope, I had to search 2 entire years to find the good one! It wasn’t the cheapest one.. but it worked for me, and if it works for me, it will work for you too!
The lesson of today
I wanted to show you what proteins are doing, what they’re made of, why they are so essential for our body, and especially for the growth of our muscles when it comes by performing exercises of either bodybuilding or fitness.
I also showed what kinds of food are the best to get the most of them without having too much fat or other bad ingredients.
So with this knowledge, I hope you’re one step closer in reaching the body you want, in a natural way, and you can be proud of it.
If there is any question about the topic, feel free to ask me in the comments below, I will be more than happy to answer you.
Kind regards, Emmanuel.